From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A design problem!
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:05:46 GMT

On Nov 1, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Jeff Davidson wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Would it be feasible to write to a (SQL) database appender? Later,
> you would
> simply query the results for each IP address as needed, instead of
> forcing
> the sorting of log records at the time that they are logged.
>
> I'm very new to log4cxx so I don't really know how much effort
> would be
> required, but if it were me I think I'd want a general solution that
> offloads the sorting and processing of individual log records until
> someone
> (me?) actually requests them.
>
> Anyway, it's food for thought.
>
> Cheers,
> ~Jeff D.

log4j has a database appender (actually I believe several).  log4cxx
has an ODBCAppender, but I've never tested it.  There is a bug
request open (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-61) to
consider migrating database appender support to use Apache Portable
Runtime's (fairly new) DB API.

At a certain point, you need all the robustness and reliability that
a database provides and just need to eat the overhead and
complexity.  If you start adding a lot of moving parts on top of the
file system, you get the same complexity without the robustness.