From "Jeff Davidson" <jeffd....@gmail.com>
Subject RE: A design problem!
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:40:41 GMT
Ken,

Would it be feasible to write to a (SQL) database appender? Later, you would
simply query the results for each IP address as needed, instead of forcing
the sorting of log records at the time that they are logged.

I'm very new to log4cxx so I don't really know how much effort would be
required, but if it were me I think I'd want a general solution that
offloads the sorting and processing of individual log records until someone
(me?) actually requests them.

Anyway, it's food for thought.

Cheers,
~Jeff D.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken [mailto:yongkwai@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 6:27 PM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: Re: A design problem!

Hello,
    Currently, My program have 1 thread deal with all clients request, have
only one appender with "setFile" call changes the log file for each client
request. But the problem is when I enable the log, the cpu usage is a little
high, disable the log everything is ok. So I think "setFile" call will cause
file frequently opened & closed, will this elevate the cpu usage?
     Maarten's NDC suggestion is what I thought before. The problem is each
client will have a series of request, each of them will last variable time.
So NDC may overlap the log content. Create many appender just like Thomas
said will challenge the OS limit. Of course use awk, sed, Excel are the best
and easy solutions, but for some reason we only can show the log file to
related people with their part. I will study use awk or Excel to achieve
this later. However I still like write to different files. Thanks.

--
Ken