From "Steindl Christian" <c.stei...@pke.at>
Subject AW: Memory leak with ThreadSpecificData
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:39:05 GMT
see also http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-117 for a patch

Greetz,
Christian

________________________________

	Von: Josh Clark [mailto:idispatch@gmail.com]
	Gesendet: Donnerstag, 10. November 2005 17:36
	An: Log4CXX User
	Betreff: Re: Memory leak with ThreadSpecificData

	Has anything else happened with this issue?

	On 10/20/05, Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org> wrote:

		On Oct 18, 2005, at 8:10 AM, Steindl Christian wrote:

		> Hi,
		>
		> I use the VLD (visual leak detector) with my
applications and log4cxx
		> and noticed quite some memory leaks. Well, in my
specific
		> application a
		> huge number of threads might be spawn in the course of
time. Is
		> there a
		> way to get rid of the ThreadSpecificData again? My
application runs on
		> Win32, and so the APRInitializer::tlsDestruct() won't
be called.
		> Consequently I've patched log4cxx by introducing a
method to
		> explicitly
		> free the ThreadSpecificData, but that's of course not
transparent. Is
		> there an intend to provide the same behaviour of the
APR for Win32
		> eventually? Any other ideas about that problem?
		>
		> Thanks,
		> Christian

		I do not know of a portable way to be notified of thread
termination,
		so any solution would require user cooperation of
notifying log4cxx
		that a particular thread is terminating.  I'm packing up
and moving
		at the moment and will be offline for the next few days.
If there is
		no other discussion, log a bug report at
http://issues.apache.org/
		jira and we will add it to the list.  If you can share
more details
		of your solution, it may be helpful.