From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: XMLSocketAppender - call to socket->write commented out???
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:21:20 GMT
> I'm fairly certain there is a good reason why T2A usage is being
> avoided, I just don't know why.  In the absence of that knowledge
> all I can claim is that the above code makes the XMLSocketAppender
> functional with respect to log events being received by Chainsaw
> V2; I can not make any claim about this code's correctness with
> respect to other aspects of the log4cxx architecture.

log4cxx-0.9.7 supported either the default single char code page or
wchar_t but not both simultaneously.  The T2A and tchar type are
artifacts of the Microsoft approach for the transition from single
char API (Win 3.1 and 9x code bases) and wchar_t API (Win NT, 2000
and XP).

> The ability to send log events remotely via the XMLSocketAppender
> is very valueable, and I hope this functionality can be enabled
> properly on the projects trunk and subsequent releases.
>
> Thank you,

With the migration from the single character type approach to the
current flexible approach, a decent amount of code needed to be
commented out until it could be fixed.  I thought that
XMLSocketAppender was back on line, but could have been mistaken,