From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Simple program
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:12:23 GMT
On Jul 27, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Massie, Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie and am trying to write a simple program to get a
> handle on log4cxx.  I am linking to the desired header files and am
> getting errors within those header files. An example of how I am
> calling one of these header files is:  #include “log4cxx-0.9.7/
> include/log4cxx/patternlayout.h”. This header file is calling the
> other header files within it and getting errors from them (ex.
> log4cxx/layout.h).  I know I must be forgetting something vital,
> but I am not sure
> what it is.  Anybody know what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

First if you are just getting started, I would not recommend 0.9.7,
but working from the CVS HEAD.  There are a huge number of bugs that
have been resolved on the CVS but there are still a few that need to
be ironed out (plus procedural issues within the Logging Services
PMC) before the next release.

The second is all log4cxx source files expect that the directory that
contains the log4cxx directory (in your case log4cxx-0.9.7/include)
is expected to be on the include search path.  You didn't describe
your build environment, so I can't give you any more specific guidance.

p.s. to the rest of the group: I'm slowly cycling my way through my
other commitments and expect to be able to start working again on
log4cxx either late this week or early next.