From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: x86_64 problems
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:29:55 GMT

On Jul 14, 2005, at 8:57 AM, Mihai Rusu wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are using log4cxx in a small project here. Our initial development
> platform was x86 but now we want slowly to also add x86_64 support for
> our project. We have found 2 strange things happening with log4cxx
> 0.9.7
> on x86_64 different than on x86:
> - it seems to putput an empty log message when destroying a LoggerPtr
> object
> - it seems to crash (gdb shows a crash in log4cxx library)
>
> Obviously, this all can happen just because of our code bugs. But Im
> trying to debug and see why it happens. I thought I should first
> update
> to latest log4cxx CVS and try to reproduce the problem with that.
> Unfortunetely I don't seem to be able to compile CVS on x86_64. After
> installing apr and apr-util 0.9.6 when I try to compile
> log4cxx-0.9.8_cvs14072005_030502.tar.gz I get this error:
>
> asyncappender.cpp: In member function `virtual void
> log4cxx::AsyncAppender::close()':
> asyncappender.cpp:111: error: `apr_atomic_xchg32' undeclared (first
> use
> this function)
> asyncappender.cpp:111: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
> only once for each function it appears in.)
>
> Anyway, do you know of any log4cxx 0.9.7 x86_64 bugs ? Do you know of
> some happy users of this library on this platform ?

There are a lot of things that can cause log4cxx 0.9.7 to crash which
have been fixed in the CVS.  Fixing some of these required fairly
pervasive changes and 0.9.7 can't be easily "patched" to work around
the problems.

The CVS HEAD requires 1.x versions of apr and apr-util, not 0.9.x.  I
had considered attempting to support both APR-0.9.x and APR-1.x, but
it added much too much complication.

I occasionally check x86_64 builds.  I haven't checked it recently,
but I don't know any problems.