From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: Loggers and threading
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2005 04:18:19 GMT

On Jun 24, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Moul, Russell G wrote:

> I'm encountering problems using multiple threads that log to the same
> logger.  The following is a simple test I put together to issolate the
> problem and a backtrace from the failure.  Any suggestions would be
> welcome.

Thanks for the report.  I don't have time to research it at the
moment, but I wanted to share my thoughts from just looking at the
stack trace.  If someone else wants to dig deeper, please feel free.

Any chance that your implementation of standard template library is
not reentrant?  The call itself looks like something going wrong on a
call to STL on a resource on the stack.  Maybe things got dorked
somewhere else, but it looks really clean for some type of overwrite
or collision on a shared resource.

The back trace appears to be in the char* to wchar_t* decoder
implemented using apr_xlate.  If you just need a work-around, one of
the other decoder/encoder combinations might not suffer from the same
issue (or it may be totally unrelated to the encoding and something
else entirely).  If you know that your locale encoding is UTF-8, you
can bypass all the encoding/decoding hassle by specifying the
preprocessor macro LOG4CXX_LOCALE_IS_UTF8=1 (unfortunately neither of
the builds has an option to specify that at this time) and
LOG4CXX_LOGCHAR_IS_UTF8=1 (I think -Dlogchar=utf-8 on the Ant build)
which is cause the "trivial" decoder/encoder pair to be used for
conversion from the locale's char* to the internal character
representation.