From Andreas Fester <Andreas.Fes...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Status of stream.h?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:18:24 GMT
Hi Paul,

Paul Butcher wrote:
> I am having problems with the code within <log4cxx/stream.h>. Using it in a
> single source file works fine, but when I try to use it more than once, I get
> the following when linking:
>
> In function `operator<<(log4cxx::logstream&, char const*)':
> log4cxx/stream.h:153: multiple definition of `operator<<(log4cxx::logstream&,

> char const*)'

I can reproduce this. I created some cpp files with content similar to

#include <log4cxx/level.h>
#include <log4cxx/logger.h>
#include <log4cxx/stream.h>

#include "src1.h"

using namespace log4cxx;

static LoggerPtr logger = Logger::getLogger(L"Src1");

void src1() {
   logstream info(logger, Level::INFO);
   info << "In src1.cpp" << 4.5 << " / " << 4;

   info.flush();
}

and then also get a lot of those messages

src1.o(.text+0x0): In function `operator<<(log4cxx::logstream&, char
const*)':
: multiple definition of `operator<<(log4cxx::logstream&, char const*)'
main.o(.text+0x0): first defined here

Maybe I can have a closer look to it tomorrow...

> I get the impression that this code is still evolving? Is it ready for "prime
> time" yet?
>
> A wider question: what is the preferred mechanism for generating log messages
> which are more than just fixed strings?

I think that using a logstream is a proper approach, at least
I like this more than concatenating lots of strings (and probably
do lot of conversions myself) and the using LOG4CXX_ macros. So
something like

	logstream info(logger, Level::INFO);
	info << "In src1.cpp" << 4.5 << " / " << 4;

seems a proper solution for me.

Regards,

	Andreas

--