From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build problem on solaris
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:18:18 GMT

On Jun 10, 2005, at 9:10 AM, tiaan@scubazone.co.za wrote:

> thank you for your help but after one day of suffering i am
> abandoning my
> effort to compile it on Solaris with the workshop compiler. I
> probably am
> doing something wrong somewhere but
> ant -Dcompiler=CC
> results in miles and miles of compiler errors. as far as I can
> gather it
> does appear as if ant does not detect various aspects correctly e..g
> sigwait taking only one argument and hundreds more such things.

Ant+cpptasks doesn't attempt to do any capability sniffing.  That is
like blaming make for a problem in configure.  log4cxx doesn't call
sigwait directly, so you are likely seeing an APR build problem,
though maybe one that is specific to how log4cxx builds APR.

> i am very
> dissapointed as I really wanted to use this on Solaris but I can only
> conclude that if you are not an expert on ant and the likes, you will
> never get it to compile.

There appear to be several issues with log4cxx on Solaris.  Maybe
some are related to the use of ant but it appears that at least some
of them are related to other issues.  I've got an x86 Solaris media
kit at home and one of my to-do list items is to get a Solaris build
machine up so I can knock these down.

> I am not even starting to talk to get it compiled
> 64-bit which is how I really have to compile it. the log4cxx community
> would probably make some people very happy to get it working on
> Solaris as
> easy as it is on Linux as the mailing lists does indicate a lot of
> interrest on using it on Solaris.

I've added bug logcxx-92 (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
LOGCXX-92) for this and marked it as blocking our next release
0.9.8.   Before 0.9.8, we should have Solaris builds with both
autotools or ant.