From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: Linux RedHat 9.0
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:36:45 GMT
> When I run my exe I get the following error:
>
> Could not instantiate class [org.apache.log4j.FileAppender]
> Class 'org.apache.log4j.FileAppender' not found
>
> Is this saying my liblog4cxx.a library I'm linking to my exe does
> not contain a needed class?  If so, how do I rebuild liblog4cxx.a
> so it see's the needed class?

The problem is likely not the presence of FileAppender but the
relative order of execution of the static initializer that adds the
entry for the FileAppender to the internal list of available classes
and the static initializer that causes the default configuration file
to be loaded.  In log4cxx-0.9.7, the code just hoped that they would
be fired in a favorable order (registering the class before
processing the configuration file).

Fixing this problem and other problems related to static initializers
required pretty pervasive changes, so it is unlikely to be able to
tweak log4cxx-0.9.7 to fix the problem if it appears.  Perhaps you
could avoid the problem by not using default configuration and doing
an explicit configuration sometime after all the static initializers
have completed, but I can't offer any guarantees.