From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject error in intro document
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 19:11:08 GMT
> Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 18:08:29 +0200
> From: martin f krafft <madduck@madduck.net>
>
> It appears that only log4j.properties is read at startup.
> log4cxx.properties is ignored. The document at [0] says differently.
>
> In general, I wonder why log4j is being used all over (e.g. in the
> properties file and the DOM. Sure, log4cxx is being modeled after
> log4j, but it's a separate product, and I cannot imagine the need to
> share one log4X configuration file between a C++ and a Java
> programme.
>
> 0. http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/manual/Introduction.html
>
> Note: I am not subscribed, so if you want me to read your reply,
> please CC.

I'm guessing you are using log4cxx-0.9.7 which is considerably out of
date and is discouraged for new users at
http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx.  However there is no similar
disclaimer on the logging services download site and I will correct
that in the next few days.  The current CVS HEAD which will become the
0.9.8 does check log4cxx.properties first and continues to check
log4j.properties for compatibility with 0.9.7.  Checking
log4j.properties will likely be deprecated with the 0.9.8 release and
will not be performed in subsequent releases.

I don't recall if the introduction was broken even for 0.9.7 or if I
broke it relative to 0.9.7.  I expect to be refreshing the web site in
a day or so and will elaborate.