From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Solaris 10 and gcc update
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 04:27:00 GMT

On May 9, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Chris Williams wrote:

> Here are my results compiling on solaris 10 with gcc.
> The build line I used was: ant -Dapr.dir=/usr/local/apr
> -Dcppunit.dir=/export/disk10/cppProjects/cppunit-1.10.2 -Dlogchar=utf8
> -Dhas.wchar_t=0
>
> I only got one error which was the following.  I think it might fail
> because
> I am not using wchar_t but I will let someone else tell me if that is
> true
> or not.
>
> [exec] 1) test: CachedDateFormatTestCase::test9 (E)
> [exec] uncaught exception of type std::runtime_error
> [exec] - locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

The failure in test9 is likely happening on the following line:

   std::locale localeUS(LOCALE_US);

where LOCALE_US = "en_US".  Do you have any documentation on the names
recognized for std::locale constructors on Solaris?

> When I tried to build without the -Dlogchar=utf8 -Dhas.wchar_t=0
> command
> lines, I got the following link error.
>

> build-shortsocketserver:
>     [mkdir] Created dir:
> /export/disk10/cppProjects/logging-log4cxx/build/debug/shared/
> shortsocketser
> ver_obj
>        [cc] 2 total files to be compiled.
>        [cc] Starting link
>        [cc] Undefined                   first referenced
>        [cc]  symbol                         in file
>        [cc] log4cxx::helpers::UnicodeHelper::encodeWide(unsigned int,
> wchar_t*)/export/disk10/cppProjects/logging-log4cxx/build/debug/
> shared/liblo
> g4cxx.so
>        [cc] log4cxx::helpers::UnicodeHelper::decodeWide(wchar_t
> const*&,
> wchar_t
> const*)/export/disk10/cppProjects/logging-log4cxx/build/debug/shared/
> liblog4
> cxx.so
>
> Any suggestions on what I could do to resolve this?

Those methods have been suppressed since you specified that the
compiler did not have a wchar_t type with the -Dhas.wchar_t=0.  I
assume that Solaris gcc actually has a wide character type and you
could turn it on and the problem would go away.  However, I should
review shortsocketserver to see why it doesn't build when wchar_t is
not present.