From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Differentiating calls to the same function
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:23:06 GMT
There are several technical reasons why it would be difficult and/or
expensive for log4j and log4cxx to provide a method invocation count
(the fairly substantial cost of obtaining location info in log4j is
one).  It is a lot easier for the caller to maintain that count which
could either be formatted into the message or placed in a NDC or MDC.
Something like:

void stuff() {
    static int callCount = 0;
    callCount++;
    LOG4CXX_DEBUG(std::string("Call to stuff() #") + itoa(callCount));
}