From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compiling on NetBSD and MSYS
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:49:10 GMT

On Feb 16, 2005, at 12:01 PM, Aaron Walker wrote:

> Curt Arnold wrote:
>
>> The autoconf-based build is broken for Debian and BSD systems.  There
>> has been discussions on the list but nobody has stepped up to
>> volunteer
>> to revamp it and I'm a novice with regard to it.   I've logged a bug
>> (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-43) on this and added
>> this
>> as a blocker for the 0.9.8 release.  It will have to be done before an
>> 0.9.8 release, but if I'm not going to take it on until I've run out
>> of
>> other tasks that need attention and then I would likely beg one
>> another
>> group for help.
>
> What exactly needs fixing for Debian/BSD systems?  I'd be more than
> glad to
> provide a patch if I can figure out exactly what's broken.

I think the major problem is that it requires a later version of
autoconf than is installed by default on most Debian or FreeBSD
systems.  The configure scripts could likely be radically simplified
since the migration to Apache Portable Runtime since log4cxx no longer
needs to know, for example, if pthread is available or not since that
is hidden by the use of APR.  The only things that I think would be
useful to detect for log4cxx are whether mbsnrtowcs and wcsnrtombs are
available, detecting an integer type that is the same size as a pointer
and whether std::wcout and std::wcerr are available.

There is also no longer any need to be prefixed with LOG4CXX_ since the
config file are no longer included in any of the log4cxx header files
but only used in the implementation.  I think their is support for
--with-apr but maybe not --with-apu.  I don't think the check target
builds and runs the unit tests.

> On BSD, the biggest cause of pains is the fact that you guys don't
> distribute
> the tarball with configure, etc already generated like most packages.
> Just
> doing this would solve a lot of headaches for folks that haven't
> messed with it
> before on BSD.  IIRC, the only other thing that's broken on BSD is the
> missing
> HAVE_ALLOCA_H check in tchars.h, but like you said you're ditching
> that.

Would you recommend generating the configure from autoconf and
including it in the distribution or skipping autoconf completely?

> The only other thing I know of off the top of my head that needs fixing
> configure-wise, is a few checks that don't work as they should.  The
> one I know
> for sure is the unicode check.  While --enable-unicode works as it
> should,
> - --disable-unicode does not.

0.9.7 was designed to support either the default multibyte encoding or
wide chars.  The current CVS HEAD can support both simultaneously.  The
code has been designed so that either wchar_t or UTF-8 encoding could
be used as the internal character representation, however only the
support code for wchar_t has been implemented.  So instead of
--enable-unicode, the switch should be somethink like
--use-encoding=[wchar_t utf-8] or --use-utf8=[false true]