From jw...@ilstechnology.com
Subject RE: 0.9.7 timezone part2
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:33:18 GMT
Curt,

Thanks for the quick response.  In 0.9.8 will the loggers use the current
system timezone by default?  I am not trying to do anything special with
outputting to different timezones, I just want to print the logs in the
current timezone on the system.  Currently the only way I can accomplish
this is by setting the timezone explicitly in the property file.  I am
leery to move to 0.9.8 at this time because the product we are using
log4cxx in is going GA in 5 weeks, and I don't think there will be a stable
0.9.8 by that time.

Don't put the timezone handling at the top of the priority list on my
account, we will need to stick with 0.9.7 for the near future, I will
survive by hacking the properties file from the application and letting
ConfigureAndWatch refresh the settings.

Thanks,
Jim

Timezone handling in 0.9.7 is seriously broken (see
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-11) and should be avoided
at all costs.

The CVS HEAD is in transition on this.  It currently supports TimeZone
and Locale attributes on the pattern layout.  However when the
capability was added to log4j, it was decided that the timezone should
be part of the pattern specification.  There is currently an open bug
in log4cxx (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-49) to
synchronize log4cxx with log4j and it is marked as a requirement for
the 0.9.8 release.  It hasn't been an urgent issue for anyone, but I
can move that to the top of the queue.

The current CVS HEAD supports the same format strings as log4j (and the
old format strings for compatibility with 0.9.7) and should shortly
accept the same TimeZone qualifiers.  Basically, what you do is to add
a second {} after the format specifier containing the timezone.  If not
specified it will use the current machine timezone.  log4j will
recognize all the timezones known to the JVM.  log4cxx will only
recognized {GMT},  {GMT+n:00} and {GMT-n:00}.  Platform specific code
or calls to ICU would be necessary to support timezones like
{America/Chicago}.

I'll try to get that task finished shortly.