From <thomas.haw...@oocl.com>
Subject RE: ErrorHandler problem (was ODBCppender problem)
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:15:19 GMT
Having looked through the error handler logic, I'm not surprised that it
has been removed.  The unfortunate part about the implementation is that
it is one-way:  the existing appender(s) were zapped by the fallback
appenders, and no provision existed to recover automatically.  Fixing
this flaw would amount to a generalized fault-tolerance solution, which
tends to be a fair piece of work infrequently used.  As Curt states
below, in the long run it would be easier to build a custom appender
that provides the switchover logic transparently, since this could then
have the necessary triggers to provide recovery, replay, etc., which are
(of course) app-specific.

Cheers!

Tom Hawker
Home    408-274-4128
Office  408-576-6591
Mobile  408-835-3643
-----Original Message-----
From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 08:48 AM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: Re: ODBCppender problem

[...]

FallbackErrorHandler and ErrorHandler have been removed from log4j.  I
had hoped to find a thread discussing the rationale for removing this
feature, but was unsuccessful.  I believe that recommended alternative
is to implement a custom Appender that implements your desired
strategy.

[...]

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Email from OOCL is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If it is not intended for
you, please delete it immediately unread.  The internet cannot guarantee that this communication
is free of viruses, interception or interference and anyone who communicates with us by email
is taken to accept the risks in so doing.  Without limitation, OOCL and its affiliates accept
no liability whatsoever and howsoever arising in connection with the use of this email.  Under
no circumstances shall this email constitute a binding agreement to carry or for provision
of carriage services by OOCL, which is subject to the availability of carrier's equipment
and vessels and the terms and conditions of OOCL's standard bill of lading which is also available
at http://www.oocl.com.