From Jess.Morecr...@ubs.com
Subject RE: Can I have time stamp in log file name?
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:18:27 GMT
Hi,

I had a similiar requirement at my work. We got around it by using the config system property
value substitution mechanism. It's not the best solution I'm sure, for many reasons, but it
worked for us.

To give an example, the first time you configure and everytime thereafter you want to change
the filename, you have code to do as follows:

        Date now = new Date();

        System.setProperty("log4j.hours", new String(now.getHours()));
        System.setProperty("log4j.minutes", new String(now.getMinutes()));
        System.setProperty("log4j.seconds", new String(now.getSeconds()));

        BasicConfigurator.resetConfiguration();
        PropertyConfigurator.configure("log4j.properties");

The contents of your log4j.properties file then looks something like this:

        log4j.rootLogger=INFO, A1
.
        log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
        log4j.appender.A1.File=/home/log/Log_${log4j.hours}_${log4j.minutes}_${log4j.seconds}.txt
        log4j.appender.A1.MaxFileSize=100KB
        log4j.appender.A1.MaxBackupIndex=1
        log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n

Cheers,
Jess