From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.9.7 timezone part2
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 01:22:53 GMT

On Feb 17, 2005, at 5:33 PM, jwert@ilstechnology.com wrote:

> Curt,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.  In 0.9.8 will the loggers use the
> current
> system timezone by default?

0.9.7 had the nasty side effect of resetting the default time zone to
get time zone offsets and didn't clean up after itself.  The current
CVS HEAD doesn't touch the TZ environment variable and will use APR's
default timezone methods unless an explicit timezone is specified.

> I am not trying to do anything special with
> outputting to different timezones, I just want to print the logs in the
> current timezone on the system.  Currently the only way I can
> accomplish
> this is by setting the timezone explicitly in the property file.  I am
> leery to move to 0.9.8 at this time because the product we are using
> log4cxx in is going GA in 5 weeks, and I don't think there will be a
> stable
> 0.9.8 by that time.

I think it is probably worth a little time to see scope out any
compilation problems that you might encounter.  The migration from
0.9.7 should be fairly painless unless you used << in logging
statements a lot.  (The migration path for that is to use the logstream
facility, but that needs to be reworked since it has a surprising large
performance hit.)  At least it would allow you to have a feel for the
cost of switching in case you start running into one of the other
significant bugs in 0.9.7 and can't work around it.

> Don't put the timezone handling at the top of the priority list on my
> account, we will need to stick with 0.9.7 for the near future, I will
> survive by hacking the properties file from the application and letting
> ConfigureAndWatch refresh the settings.

It should have been pretty close to the top of the list anyway.  I've
started porting over some of the log4j test classes and will probably
see it through now.