From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compiling on NetBSD and MSYS
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:17:34 GMT

On Feb 15, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Brendon Costa wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I am having problems compiling the log4cxx latest release (0.9.7)
> in either MSYS or NetBSD. I noticed that there were a few posts before
> about compiling on a BSD system, and someone made a patch to do so.
> Has this patch been merged into a 0.9.7 release? If so, is there any
> chance of releasing the tarball that includes it? As for the MSYS
> problem, well i just thought i would post this message and see if
> there are any solutions out there for getting this to work.
>
> Thanks, Brendon.

At the present, we are trying to get the CVS HEAD to the point that we
can retire 0.9.7.  If you have any choice in the matter, I would
strongly recommend using the CVS HEAD since you would be able to
contribute to the rest of the community as we try to get the CVS HEAD
ready for an 0.9.8 release.  The current CVS has substantial
modifications so experiences with 0.9.7 are not much help.

The autoconf-based build is broken for Debian and BSD systems.  There
has been discussions on the list but nobody has stepped up to volunteer
to revamp it and I'm a novice with regard to it.   I've logged a bug
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-43) on this and added this
as a blocker for the 0.9.8 release.  It will have to be done before an
0.9.8 release, but if I'm not going to take it on until I've run out of
other tasks that need attention and then I would likely beg one another
group for help.

The Ant based build does work with Visual C++, Borland C++ on Windows
and with gcc on Linux and Mac OS/X.  I've attempted to set up FreeBSD
on Virtual PC to test the Ant build on that platform, but haven't seen
it through to completion.

The Ant build requires Ant 1. 6.1 or later and the CVS HEAD versions of
ant-contrib and cpptasks (http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net) and a
Java VM.  If you have a network connection, the initial ant build will
download Apache Portable Runtime modules from an mirror and place it in
the lib directory or you can also manually place apr-1.1.0.tar.gz,
apr-util-1.1.0.tar.gz and apr-iconv-1.0.1.tar.gz in that directory or
specify the location of installed versions.

I have MinGW as the next Windows compiler to get working with the Ant
build.  I haven't tested it yet.