From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Odd problem
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:22:10 GMT

On Feb 14, 2005, at 10:11 PM, Tim Murison wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this...
>
> I have a function that executes a DB query and returns a vector<string>
> of the results. I have just started to add logging to my program, so
> just before returning the vector, I issue a logging statement:
>
> LOG4CXX_INFO(logger, "Done read query");
>
> Here the weird bit. If I comment out the logging statement, the vector
> elements are something like:
> 	[1, OBJECT, 2]
> With the logging statement the elements are:
> 	[1, Done read query, 2]

Strange indeed.  I don't see anything obvious in the header expansion
that could explain that.  I'm surprised that any overflow would leave
things in such a nice condition.

> I am using log4cxx 0.9.7. I have tried compiling CVS HEAD, but it fails
> with some scary messages (both using autogen and ant).

There will be one message about assigning a pointer to an integer of a
different size that should be harmless.  That occurs in the code that
converts a thread* to an hex number.  Since there isn't a handy
portable type for "integer the same size as a pointer", the code
assigns a pointer to a 64-bit integer resulting in that message on
32-bit platforms.

If you are failing to build or getting other scary messages, please
file a bug report (http://nagoya.apache.org/jira) and I'll try to
address them.  You can use a "-l logfilename" on the Ant build to log
the build.  Please indicate platform, compiler, et al.