From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 08:45 AM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: Re: 0.9.8 version (poll)

[snipped]

We are in a bit of a chicken and egg syndrome, people won't check out

the new changes in log4cxx until there is a release and we shouldn't be

releasing software that hasn't been tested.  I would encourage as many

people as possible to try the CVS version and log any issues that you

have on the JIRA and mention whether you consider them to be

showstoppers for a 0.9.8 release.

I haven’t figured out how to get the release out of CVS.  I read the [very terse] instructions, but haven’t gotten there.  I’ve already found several problems with DailyRollingFileAppender, which I understand is deprecated.  I’ll certainly make the effort to bring up 0.9.8(dev).

So, let me throw out a few questions for a poll.

A) Is the current CVS ready for a release (+1 - yes, 0 - haven't tried

it/maybe, -1 no).  If 0 or -1 explain.

0 – 0.9.7 has problems I wouldn’t put in product, but those problems are obsolete.  I haven’t pulled over the new CVS code, so don’t know what to expect.  It’s on my medium-to-low priority list.

B) Should log4cxx encourage the Incubator PMC to finish up their vote?

(+1/0/-1)

+1 – I’m trying to retire a home-grown logger and make things consistent with the Java group.  (I’m in Cincom Smalltalk connecting to the C/C++ world.)  If this works reliably, we may very well try to use this from Gemstone as well.

C) Should log4cxx petition the Incubator PMC for a sanction for a code snapshot?

+1 – If (B) fails, go for a code snapshot.

D) What platforms/compilers need to be tested before release/code

snapshot: (list all that apply)

1.    x86 Linux/gcc

2.     Windows/Visual C++ 5

3.     Windows/Visual C++ 6

4.     Windows/Visual C++ 2001

5.     Windows/Visual C++ 2003

6.     Windows/Visual C++ 2005

7.     Windows/Borland (5.5 or CBuilderX)

8.      Cygwin

9.     MinGW

10.    FreeBSD

11.    NetBSD

12.    Mac OS/X

13.  x86_64 Linux/gcc

14.  x86_64 Windows/appropriate MS compiler

15. Others (plus describe)

Item 3 for Windows, plus HP/UX, possibly Solaris.  (I know we have development environments, but haven’t used them yet.)

E) What platforms are you able to test: (list all that apply)

Windows/XP SP1, HP/UX 11.11, possibly Solaris 8 (I don’t think we’re running 9, and don’t know if I have access to the server).  I still have a Windows/2K available, if you want that one.

F) What platforms have you tested (list all that apply)

Windows/XP SP1.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Email from OOCL is confidential and may be legally privileged. If it is not intended for you, please delete it immediately unread. The internet cannot guarantee that this communication is free of viruses, interception or interference and anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept the risks in so doing. Without limitation, OOCL and its affiliates accept no liability whatsoever and howsoever arising in connection with the use of this email. Under no circumstances shall this email constitute a binding agreement to carry or for provision of carriage services by OOCL, which is subject to the availability of carrier's equipment and vessels and the terms and conditions of OOCL's standard bill of lading which is also available at http://www.oocl.com.