From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is log4cxx mature ?
Date Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:58:21 GMT

On Jan 9, 2005, at 11:03 AM, lazybug@lazybugz.net wrote:

> Hi,
>   Sorry about the subject but that in fact is my question. Is it
> recommended to use log4cxx in c++ app for windows? I mean a basic test
> revealed a memory leak of 4 bytes every time you log (stack trace from
> purify is attached below and I am using static library built with
> runtime library multithreaded debug dll on vc++.net 2003 to build
> log4cxx).
>    I would be happy if someone can tell me if this is a known problem
> on
> windows. I tried following up threads on mailing list but all of them
> ended up no where. I need this working ASAP. So any kind of help would
> be appreciated.
>
> Will I have to wait for the next version so as to be able to fix the
> above mentioned things?
>
> Please keep my email: Lazybug@lazybugz.net in cc while replying
>

> Thanks and Regards,
> Ramneek

At this point, I would not consider log4cxx-0.9.7 for new development.
The CVS is a substantial improvement and has fixed a large number of
bugs, but still is recovering from some major surgery to migrate to
Apache Portable Runtime and to simultaneously support char and wchar_t
logging.  Some features that were in log4cxx-0.9.7 are known to be
broken at this time (socket appenders for example).  I would love to
see the code base recover sufficiently to get a 0.9.8 development
snapshot out in the near future.

 From the version number and the incubation status at Apache, log4cxx
clearly isn't "mature".  The current CVS makes no attempt at binary
compatibility with 0.9.7 for example.   The internal APIs are still
subject to change and will be so for a significant amount of time.
However, log4cxx is hopefully a better alternative than most home-grown
logging frameworks.

The code that you showed no longer exists in the log4cxx CVS.  I run
valgrind on the Linux build to check for leaks, I'm not aware of any
progressive leaks in the code base.  The "Class" repository that lists
all the classes in the system is reported as a memory leak, but that is
a fixed amount of memory.  I do not have access to a comparable heap
checker on Windows.