From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Access violation when compiled with msvc 6.0
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 06:18:53 GMT

On Jan 4, 2005, at 6:29 PM, Justin Chen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got a similar problem as the one from Bob Young. The difference is
> that when I use logging in a standalone EXE, it works just fine; the
> problem occurs when I use it in a DLL called by an EXE. When the EXE
> terminates, an error message appears stating that certain memory could
> not be "read". Surprisingly all log entries have been written
> succesfully despite of the error.
>
> When I compile it with vc7.0, everything is working ok.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!
> -Justin

The current CVS is significantly different than 0.9.7 and there is a
decent chance that whatever was causing this error has at least moved.
0.9.7 had significant number of non-local static variables that caused
problems on startup in DLL's (see
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-4) since their construction
order was unspecified.  The use of non-local statics could also cause
problems on shutdown when the destructors are called in a unspecified
order.  All non-local statics (with the exception of Level::DEBUG, etc
which remain for backward compatibility and should be safe since they
aren't used within log4cxx) should have been eliminated from the CVS.

I know that there is at least a problem with NDC::pop in the current
CVS and I'll try to analyze it in fairly short order.  If anyone wants
to see if the same problem occurs in the CVS version, I would
appreciate reports.  However, I won't spend any time on it if it only
occurs in 0.9.7.