From "Drapal, Myron E \(Myron\)" <dra...@avaya.com>
Subject RE: 0.9.8 version (poll)
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:08:18 GMT
Yes, I'm just starting to figure that out...  I'm using the .sln file,
and the problem is that there are a number of old files that are in
there andI removed those and now have a whole lot of unresolveds -
probably the new files.  Thanks.

Myron Drapal
drapal@avaya.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Chen [mailto:justin.chen@matrikon.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 3:06 PM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: RE: 0.9.8 version (poll)

I finally managed to compile the cvs version with msvc6.0. The
five files you mentioned should be removed from the project, and
you also have to add quite a few new files to the project. You
can find out these files based on the analysis of the link errors.
Clearly, the .dsp file in the cvs is not up-to-date.

Justin Chen

(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-7).
However, that needs to synchronize with changes in log4j and won't
likely happen fast enough to go into 0.9.8.

The other thing that I would like to have done in time for 0.9.8, but
might not make it is http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-35
which would basically migrate log4cxx away from MSXML and libxml2 to
the expat parser provided in APR.  This would likely requiring porting
the new "Joran" configurator from log4cxx.

My take is to continue working off as many issues as possible and
prepare a release as soon as we exit the incubator.

We are in a bit of a chicken and egg syndrome, people won't check out
the new changes in log4cxx until there is a release and we shouldn't be

releasing software that hasn't been tested.  I would encourage as many
people as possible to try the CVS version and log any issues that you
have on the JIRA and mention whether you consider them to be
showstoppers for a 0.9.8 release.

So, let me throw out a few questions for a poll.

A) Is the current CVS ready for a release (+1 - yes, 0 - haven't tried
it/maybe, -1 no).  If 0 or -1 explain.

B) Should log4cxx encourage the Incubator PMC to finish up their vote?
(+1/0/-1)

C) Should log4cxx petition the Incubator PMC for a sanction for a code
snapshot?

D) What platforms/compilers need to be tested before release/code
snapshot: (list all that apply)

1.    x86 Linux/gcc
2.     Windows/Visual C++ 5
3.     Windows/Visual C++ 6
4.     Windows/Visual C++ 2001
5.     Windows/Visual C++ 2003
6.     Windows/Visual C++ 2005
7.     Windows/Borland (5.5 or CBuilderX)
8.      Cygwin
9.     MinGW
10.    FreeBSD
11.    NetBSD
12.    Mac OS/X
13.  x86_64 Linux/gcc
14.  x86_64 Windows/appropriate MS compiler
15. Others (plus describe)

E) What platforms are you able to test: (list all that apply)

F) What platforms have you tested (list all that apply)

**
READER BEWARE: Unencrypted, unsigned Internet e-mail is inherently
insecure.

Internet messages may be corrupted, incomplete, misdirected or may
incorrectly identify the sender. Therefore, nothing in this message or
attachments may be considered legally binding.

THIS MESSAGE IS ONLY INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL
OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY BE PRIVILEGED.

If you are not the intended recipient or their authorized agent, you
may not forward or copy this information and must delete or destroy all
copies of this message and attachments received.

Matrikon Inc. by telephone at (780) 448-1010.
**