From Aaron Walker <ka0t...@gentoo.org>
Subject Re: Problem compiling on FreeBSD 5.3
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:41:02 GMT

Keith Bottner wrote:
| It's not just a header problem or I wouldn't even ask.
|
| The autogen.sh will not run on FreeBSD. And in fact shouldn't even have to
run. The configure script should already be generated when the tar.gz was
packaged so that all anyone has to do is run configure then make and so on...
The autogen.sh shell script is there to generate this configure, which is
backward. The whole point of using configure is to bypass difficulties in
compiling the same source on different systems. Having to run autogen.sh as the
first step pretty much goes back to the core issues of why configure was
developed in the first place.

| Now onto why FreeBSD has an issue, which specifically has to do with the
autoconf, automake, aclocal, etc. that exist in the autogen.sh. FreeBSD has
multiple versions of these installed for various reasons so there is no single
link which means that the autogen.sh script has to be edited manually but then
which version should be used?

| The real solution is to get rid of the autogen.sh shell script and post a
tar.gz with a configure that does what it is suppose to do, which is deal with
platform differences. I some what belive that there was an error packaging the
0.9.7 version and that in fact they meant to generate a tar.gz with the
configure already generated by the projects maintainers but that something was
missed.

| Anyone have an opinion, flaming aside.
|

| Keith

Ok, sorry for all the mail folks.  It actually didn't take that much to get it
compiled on FreeBSD 5.3.  The only source changes required was the alloca.h
check; a small diff is attached.

$ cd /usr/ports/devel/automake15
$ make install clean
$ cd /usr/ports/textproc/libxml2
$ make install clean
$ cd ~/log4cxx-0.9.7
$ libtoolize15 --force --copy
$ aclocal15
$ autoheader259
$ autoconf259
$ automake15 -a
$ patch -p1 < ../log4cxx-0.9.7-fbsd.diff
$ ./configure ...
$ make

I didn't specify any fancy options so I cannot say whether --with-ODBC or
- --with-SMTP will build correctly.

Hope this helps you.
- --
You can't have everything... where would you put it?
- -- Steven Wright

Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@gentoo.org>
[ Gentoo/BSD | cron | forensics | shell-tools | commonbox | netmon ]