From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Log4j Chainsaw v2 with log4cxx
Date Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:51:09 GMT

On Nov 25, 2004, at 1:16 AM, Anton Müller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to use Log4j Chainsaw v2 and write
> to a socket with log4cxx 0.97 but I didnt get it
> to work.
>
> Before I continue to check this I have some small questions:
>
> - Is "Log4j Chainsaw v2" usable with log4cxx or are there
>   binary incompabilities with the
>   serialized LoggingEvent in log4j/log4cxx?

The current log4cxx serialized LoggingEvent is not binary compatible
with log4j, this is reported as
http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-7.

> - is there another tool like  Chainsaw  which works with log4cxx?

Chainsaw can be used with the XMLSocketAppender.

> - is the binary format of "serialized LoggingEvent" documented
>   somewhere (if I want to catch them myself) ?

It would be preferable to make log4cxx's (and log4net) serialized form
to be compatible with log4j.  It has been a long desired enhancement,
but pretty far done on my to-do list.  If anyone wants to analyze
log4j's serialized form, it would be a great help, but actual
implementation would probably be best deferred until the Unicode and
Location related changes are complete.

For more background see
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=log4cxx-
user@logging.apache.org&msgNo=155