From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Log4j Chainsaw v2 with log4cxx
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 04:13:28 GMT
> Cross language operation *never* worked with Java serialization, did
> it? It's not a new problem, is it?
>
> I wonder how difficult it would be to *efficiently* transmit
> LoggingEvents over the wire, possibly in language neutral way.

Java's Object Serialization Stream Protocol is publicly available
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/serialization/) as is the
source for LoggingEvent.  There is no technical reason that I can see
why log4cxx and log4net could not mimic the serialization of log4j's
LoggingEvent, however it would require some exploration and
experimentation to get it right.  I think the most complex aspect would
likely be trying to mimic the serialization of Exceptions.

log4cxx isn't in a great spot to attempt it now since it does not use
UTF-16 or LocationInfo objects in its LoggingEvent's, but that should
be changing within the month.  If it were to be done, it could be
faster to get it working with log4net and then port the code to
log4cxx.