From "Devender Marri" <Deven...@stts.com.sg>
Subject RE: LOG4CXX_DEBUG macro fails when used in a shared object or .so file gcc
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 06:57:56 GMT

Hi Curt,
Thank you for the reply, atleast I now know that there is indeed a problem, as I was trying
different ways to solve the problem.
currently I am using std::ostrstream to do the same and found that it works.

my new code looks as follows

std::ostrstream outx;
string str1 = "this is devender ";
outx << str1;
int i = 0;
outx<< i++;
logger->debug(outx.str());

I added the above code just in case some one else end up with the same problem.

Thank you.

Sincierly
Marri Devender Rao

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
	Sent: Wed 10/13/2004 2:16 PM
	To: Log4CXX User
	Subject: Re: LOG4CXX_DEBUG macro fails when used in a shared object or .so file gcc

	> Can some body tell me what difference does the #define macro for
	> LOG4CXX_DEBUG makes for a shared object to that of
	> an executable.
	>
	> sample code...
	> 1)string str1 = "this is devender ";
	> 2)LOG4CXX_DEBUG(loggerx, _T("MSG ") << str1);
	> 3)int i = 0;
	> 4)LOG4CXX_DEBUG(loggerx, _T("MSG ") << i++);
	>
	> I appreciate every body for taking ur precious time in looking at my
	> email.
	> Sincierly
	> Marri Devender Rao

	There have been muiltiple reports of segmentation faults due to the
	initialization order of static constructors when using log4cxx in a
	shared library.  My guess is this could be another manifestation of the
	same problem.  It is on my list of things to investigate.

	Please avoid using operator<< with the LOG4CXX_* macros.  Yes you can
	get away with it now, but it depends on undocumented and undesirable
	aspects of the macros that I intend to eliminate when addressing
	http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-10 (likely 0.9.9).  The _T
	macros are also undesirable and should not be used in new code.

	I recently added a stream wrapper for log4cxx (see
	http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-18) and recent messages on
	the thread.  I think the basic usage patterns are reasonably solid,
	though the implementation needs to be optimized to delay buffer
	allocation until needed.   If you wanted to use it, your code fragment
	would look like:

	#include <log4cxx/stream.h>

	> string str1 = "this is devender ";
	    log4cxx::logstream ls (loggerx, log4cxx::Level::DEBUG);
	    ls << "MSG" << str1 << LOG4CXX_ENDMSG;
	    int i = 0;
	    ls << "MSG" << i++ << LOG4CXX_ENDMSG;

	May still run into the segmentation issue, since my guess is that it is
	unrelated.