Thanks Arnold for the information.

-Mike.

Curt Arnold <carnold@apache.org> wrote:
log4cxx follows log4j and log4j does not attempt to synchronize file
I/O across multiple processes. This is addressed in Chapter 10 of "The
complete manual log4j".

Q 10.3 Can multiple Java Virtual Machines log to the same file using
log4j?

No, there is no way for log4j to coordinate the access for a system
resource, for example a file, between multiple JVMs....

The following FAQ describes the common method of addressing situations
where that is necessary by using SocketAppenders and a daemon that
receives the log requests and writes to a file:
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/faq.html#3.3

On Sep 10, 2004, at 3:46 PM, Mike SG wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I compiled successfully the log4cxx on solaris and I am trying to run
> a small example which uses FileAppender. Our project is a multi
> process system. So I created a small example which has 2 processes
> writing to a file. I used the FileAppender for this. But when I see
> the output I see that it not process safe. The output is mixed up.
> Does this works only for threads in a single application.
>
> Have I done something wrong? Can I use fileappender in a multiprocess
> application? Do I need to set something?
>
> What options do I have?
>
> Can somebody please help me on this.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> -Mike.