From "Barak Simon" <barak.si...@db.com>
Subject Re: SocketServer (+ Appender's Threshold)
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:04:49 GMT

Thanks!

I am using the 0.9.7, nourishing the hope that sometime in the near future a 0.9.8 version
will be released
(as I had some problems in the past with building snapshots)

Do you know if there are any immediate plans to release a new version?

Concerning the license rules,
(Un)fortunately I am also not a lawyer (and find there might be better things/pretensions
I could aspire to), and shun away from these issues as much as the next non-lawyer :)
If/when this becomes more relevant, I'll have a quick hermeneutic session with the links you
sent me.

Cheers,
Barak
________________________
Barak Simon
GED IT Core Platform
190 George St. Sydney, 2000
Phone +61 2 925 85070
Fax      +61 2 925 95050

                      carnold@apache.or

                      g                        To:       log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org

                                               cc:

                      22/09/2004 10:01         Subject:  Re: SocketServer (+ Appender's Threshold)

                      Please respond to

                      log4cxx-user

There is a closed bug relating to setting the threshold of an appender,
http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-12.  The bug has been
marked fixed,  but within the last month.  Are you seeing the behavior
with the CVS version or with 0.9.7?

> Thanks for the swift reply.
>
>> Legally speaking I don't know if you can mix code which is Apache
>> Licenced and some closed source code. I think other people on the list
>> will be able to tell (which will make sense, of course, only if your
>> code is closed source).
>
> How then using the log4cxx code/classes to log messages within your
> own code is different
> than rebuilding the simplesocketserver with extended levels? (In any
> case, anyone
> is most welcome to use my extended levels...)

Hopefully the Apache license is sufficiently clear that you can make
your own determination.  However, giving an opinion if a particular use
is allowable might make some people think that we are pretending to be
lawyers.

Details on the Apache License is available at
http://www.apache.org/licenses/,
http://www.apache.org/foundation/preFAQ.html#licence, and
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html.

in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.