From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Strings and configuration (unrelated to each other)
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:57:01 GMT

On Sep 3, 2004, at 3:56 AM, Mattias Brändström wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have two questions about the log4cxx API.
>
> First of all, when I configure log4cxx in the following way:
>
>     log4cxx::PropertyConfigurator::configure(string("/usr"));
>
> it fails silently. Is this the way it is supposed to behave? I would
> have preffered it to say something similar to what it says when I
> point it to a file that edoes not exist.

Don't know that one off the top of my head

> My second question is about the String class. In the examples I have
> seen strings are constructed with _T(). Where is this function
> declared? Where is String declared? Will it be OK for me to send
> strings to log4cxx using std::string?

I've been assigned to rework the Unicode support and will dive into as
soon as I finish my current project.  The bug report
(http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-10) has more details.  _T
is a preprocessor macro defined in log4cxx/helpers/tchar.h (patterned
after Windows tchar.h) that wraps the string literal with a L so make
it a long string literal if UNICODE is defined.  Currently log4cxx only
supports logging Unicode or MBCS, in my rework, it can support both
simultaneously.  I expect to remove the _T macro from log4cxx (since it
can be inconsistent with the Windows tchar.h definition) and would
avoid using it in new code.  String is an alias for std::string unless
UNICODE is set when it is an alias for std::wstring.  So if you pass
char* or std::string's to log4cxx, you should see no changes when I've
finished the Unicode rework.