From Robert Haschke <rhasc...@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
Subject Question on logger hierarchy
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:38:09 GMT
Dear developers,

I'm new to log4* and I'm wondering how I can achieve the following goal:

I want to have a top level logger, logging to cerr with a level WARNING.
Below may be several other loggers with their own appenders, layouts and
logging levels. If I trigger an error or warning on these descendant
loggers, the message (if enabled at all) should be forwarded to the
top-level logger, logging to cerr. I think, this is the purpose of the
logger hierarchy.
My attempt to this failed, because all messages enabled at the
descendant loggers are forwarded to its ancestors, which do not check
the log level anymore. Why should this behaviour be useful? Why should I
use a logger hierarchy, if I cannot influence the logging through the
different log levels?

How can I achive my goal?

In future releases, it would be very convenient to have logger methods,
which allow printf-like formatting.

Yours sincerly,

Robert Haschke

Dipl.-Inform. Robert Haschke
Faculty of Technology, Neuroinformatics Group, M7-123
University of Bielefeld
33501 Bielefeld, Germany
phone: +49-521-106 6066, fax: +49-521-106 6011