From Sven A.Schmidt <...@abstracture.de>
Subject Re: Building on Mac OS/X 10.3
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:06:37 GMT
Hi all,

I've just downloaded and compiled the latest release (0.9.7) on OSX
10.3. I've seen the same problems and found that the "getLogger()" and
"getRootLogger()" calls cause segfaults unless I call

BasicConfigurator::configure();

first. So, for example delayedloop can be fixed like this:

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
   BasicConfigurator::configure();
   DelayedLoop::logger = Logger::getLogger(_T("DelayedLoop"));
}

(with logger made public).

This is a bit awkward, because with this it is not possible to assign a
static logger globally. I don't have another platform available for
testing but I assume that calling "getLogger()" on other platforms
works even without having configured first.

I haven't investigated the cause of the crash any further. I recently
had a problem with code that ran on Linux and crashed on OSX where the
cause was an uninitialized variable. If I remember correctly, the
variable was automatically assigned 0 on Linux and uninitialized use
was 'safe' there while it was containing garbage on OSX and cause a
crash. As initialization seems to be the problem here, perhaps this
might give a lead on what's wrong.

HTH,
Sven