From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: Has anyone written a Win32 OutputDebugString appender?
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:55:24 GMT

On Aug 10, 2004, at 6:11 AM, Danny Pike wrote:

> I sent it off but nothing happened, as far as I can see. I don't know
> how long it takes for these things to get added. I get the impression
> that it is rather too much for the team to handle :)
>
> DP

I've added a bug for this feature request:
http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-6

I had a couple of issues with the submitted patch, however the idea and
general approach appear solid.

First, there is not an equivalent appender in log4j, however log4net's
equivalent is called OutputDebugStringAppender.  To try to keep
compatibility between the configuration files, that name should also be
used in log4cxx.

Michaël may have a better feel for significance of this, but the
submitted patch had a personal copyright that was not the same name as
the submitter.  I'm pretty sure that we want to keep all copyrights in
the code assigned to the Apache Software Foundation, but I'm unsure the
submission is sufficient basis to rework the copyright assignment.

There was a comment that said that all LF's  were replaced by CR-LF's,
however the code appeared only to change the final one.  I did not see
an equivalent in the log4net implementation.  Could someone elaborate
the on scenarios (log requests and debuggers) that motivated the
replacement?

With the proposed implementation, I assume that if a configuration file
with a OutputDebugStringAppender would fail to load on a non-Windows
platform.  I'm not sure if that is a desirable behavior.  An
alternative would be for OutputDebugStringAppender to do nothing on
platforms that do not support an equivalent functionality.

Probably easier for Michaël or I to do a clean implementation since it
is fairly trival, basically render the logging event to a string and
call OutputDebugString.