From "Eric Rosenquist" <e...@rosenquist.com>
Subject RE: Question about late loading of logging dll
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:35:46 GMT
> So my question is: Is there a way to use log4cxx in a way
> that allows me to ship my application without the dll
> and at application startup load the DLL
> as I load the configuration file? I guess I could do this

Visual C++ has had support for deferred loading of DLLs for a couple of
releases now.  It's controlled via the /DELAYLOAD:foobar.dll argument to
the linker.  There are some constraints though that probably don't mesh
well with log4cxx, in particular the import of data rather than code.
Read the following MSDN article to get all of the details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/
html/vcconlinkersupportfordelayedloadingofdlls.asp

If you can work around the constraints it would be a heck of a lot
easier than trying to roll your own mechanism.

Eric