From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging Configuration Across DLL Boundary
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:08:33 GMT

On Aug 24, 2004, at 4:52 PM, Michaƫl CATANZARITI wrote:

> Hello,
> Can you be more precise and give code samples, please ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Combes, Chris M. wrote:
>> Folks,
>> I have an application which configures my logging system through a
>> ProperyConfigurator. The application instantiates objects which are
>> implemented in external DLLs. When instantiation occurs (e.g. in the
>> constructor of whatever object) the logging configuration is lost. I
>> can get around this by loading the configuration file again within
>> each object, but I should not have to do this.
>> It looks like whatever log4cxx configuration I use does not carry
>> over across the DLL boundary.
>> Is this intended behavior? Or is there some special method to get the
>> configuration to carry forward into objets instantiated within a
>> separate DLL?
>> I'm developing under MSVC++ 6.0.
>> Any help appreciated.
>> Thanks,
>> Chris

That behavior would be expected if the application DLL's were linked
with log4cxx static library.  To share logging configurations, the
application DLL's must be linked with a log4cxx dynamic library.  There
may still be an issue, but please check that you aren't compiling with
statically linked log4cxx.