From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject LOG4CXX macros
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:01:27 GMT
In
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=log4cxx-
dev@logging.apache.org&msgNo=202, troy d.straszheim offered
modifications of the LOG4CXX_DEBUG and similar macros to use
boost::format to construct messages.  My take (in the follow up
message) was that the LOG4CXX_DEBUG macros should be pretty minimal,
but it might be a good FAQ.

While we were on the topic of the LOG4CXX_ macros, I wanted to solicit
comments or a couple issues.

I raised several issues in
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=log4cxx-
user@logging.apache.org&msgNo=196.  The most significant is the
creation of a temporary StringBuffer in the expansion of LOG4CXX_DEBUG
and similar macros.   Does anyone have client code that depends on the
temporary string buffer?

Several compilers including gcc have a mechanism to hint that one
branch of an if statement is more likely to be executed.  It may be
desirable that the LOG4CXX_DEBUG hint that isDebugEnabled will likely
return false which would allow better optimization for the normal case.
  Any comments on the benefits or consequences of providing branch
hints?