From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding Process ID + GID
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:24:35 GMT

On Aug 30, 2004, at 4:45 AM, Barak Simon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. Could someone please advice me as to what's the best way to add a
> flag to PatternLayout?
> I need to support Process ID (or is that already supported?), but wish
> it to be runtime configurable like any other layout flag.

I thought of two different mechanisms that would be used by log4j to
address the same issue.

Using a mapped diagnostic context or MDC appears to be implemented
(mdc.cpp).  Somewhere early in your thread startup, you would make a
call to MDC::put("ProcessID", pid) placing the process id in the MDC
for the thread and you would use %X{ProcessID} format specifier to
render the value.

The %t pattern can be used to output a thread id.  It appears that
pattern parser will recognize that token, but does not implement
anything to process it (patternparser.cpp).   I would assume that we
are free to define the content of the thread id and that including the
process id would be reasonable.

> 2. I also wish to support a global identifier per logging message -
> what would be the best way to implement that within/on-top-of log4cxx?

Not sure exactly what you are wanting to do, but the MDC might be
useful again.