From Fabijan...@nucorsteel.com
Subject Re: DailyRollingfileAppender / Chainsaw
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:41:13 GMT

             Curt Arnold
             <carnold@houston.
             rr.com>                                                    To
                                       Log4CXX User
             07/23/2004 05:12          <log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: DailyRollingfileAppender /
              "Log4CXX User"           Chainsaw
             <log4cxx-user@log
             ging.apache.org>

On Jul 23, 2004, at 3:25 PM, FabijanicA@nucorsteel.com wrote:
>> I have a few questions:
>>
>> 1) Is it possible to make DailyRollingFileAppender delete files older
>> than
>> n days (hours, mins,...)? I was looking for something like that in the

>As far as I can tell, that is a feature that is not currently in log4j.
>  I think the project in general would not be receptive to adding a
>feature that is not already in log4j.  However, if it is in log4j or if
>you can get it accepted for log4j, then I think that log4cxx could
>follow.

I know I need it if I am to use this library in real world. And I doubt
anyone else has an urge of manually deleting old files.
I can not imagine anyone would opose such a thing. But, then maybe I am
missing something important...

>RollingFileAppender has a MaxBackupIndex that limits the number of log
>files.

That is exactly what I need for DailyRolingFileAppender. I'll try to do it.

>Another approach would be to make DailyRollingFileAppender::rollOver
>virtual, then you could extend the appender and add your own action on
>roll-over.

No, it does not feel right.

>> 2) is there any work being done on communication with Chainsaw ?

>I assume that you are talking about Socket communication with Chainsaw.
>with log4j, however I don't know anyone working on it at this time.  A
>substantial part of the work would reverse engineering the binary
>format of log4j serialized LoggingEvent which should be moderately
>straightforward since Java serialization is documented and log4j is
>open source.

I may give it a try one of these days.

>> 3) Is there a possibility of having conversion character(s) for uptime
>> other than milliseconds ?

>Again, this is a place where I think that we would need to follow
>log4j's lead.

Not that I am trying to be smart, but my request is coming from a real
world need - I must be able to see right away a meaningful number for the
process uptime.

Anyway, thanks for your precise and quick response. I've got some direction
now ...

Alex