From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: DailyRollingfileAppender / Chainsaw
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:12:17 GMT

On Jul 23, 2004, at 3:25 PM, FabijanicA@nucorsteel.com wrote:
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1) Is it possible to make DailyRollingFileAppender delete files older
> than
> n days (hours, mins,...)? I was looking for something like that in the
> code
> but was not able to find anything. If it currently is not possible, I'd
> like to implement it myself but I need a little bit of guidance as to
> where
> exactly to put the option (FileAppender ?)

As far as I can tell, that is a feature that is not currently in log4j.
  I think the project in general would not be receptive to adding a
feature that is not already in log4j.  However, if it is in log4j or if
you can get it accepted for log4j, then I think that log4cxx could
follow.

RollingFileAppender has a MaxBackupIndex that limits the number of log
files.

Another approach would be to make DailyRollingFileAppender::rollOver
virtual, then you could extend the appender and add your own action on
roll-over.

> 2) is there any work being done on communication with Chainsaw ?

I assume that you are talking about Socket communication with Chainsaw.
  log4cxx's serialization of LoggingEvent is not currently compatible
with log4j's.  There have been previous discussion on this list about
modifying the LoggingEvent serialization so that it would interoperate
with log4j, however I don't know anyone working on it at this time.  A
substantial part of the work would reverse engineering the binary
format of log4j serialized LoggingEvent which should be moderately
straightforward since Java serialization is documented and log4j is
open source.

> 3) Is there a possibility of having conversion character(s) for uptime
> other than milliseconds ?

Again, this is a place where I think that we would need to follow
log4j's lead.