From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Questions about include/log4cxx/helpers/tchar.h
Date Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:34:22 GMT
Including include/log4cxx/helpers/tchar.h before the Win32 platform's
tchar.h will result in compilation errors as the Win32 tchar.h's
overrides the definitions of W2A, A2W, USES_CONVERSION etc.  These
compilation errors can be avoided by forcing the Win32's tchar.h to be
loaded first, but at least in my case both tchar.h's were loaded
indirectly, it tooks some sleuthing to figure out where the Platform
tchar.h needed to be added.

It doesn't appear that log4cxx itself uses some of the offending
macros, so I'm assuming that the they were provided as a convenience
for library users, however providing a second implementation of
platform provided macros could be confusing, especially since the
log4cxx implementation has length limitations that I don't believe
exist in the Platform provided implementation.  For example, the
message size limitation reported a few days ago, but be avoided by
including the platform's tchar.h

I haven't really dug into this issue yet, but it did surprise me and
maybe somebody could explain why the current state is a good thing.