From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: DailyRollingfileAppender / Chainsaw
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:28:03 GMT

On Jul 26, 2004, at 6:38 AM, FabijanicA@nucorsteel.com wrote:
>> public) from Ceki Gulcu mentioned that DailyRollingFileAppender had
>> been
>> deprecated in log4j in preference for RollingFileAppender.
>
> Does this mean that DailyRollingFileApender is going to be removed from
> log4cxx ?

I have not been able to find a mailing list discussion on the decision
to deprecate DailyRollingFileAppender.  It would indicate that
DailyRollingFileAppender might be removed in log4j 1.5 or so and
alternatives should be considered.

>>> Not that I am trying to be smart, but my request is coming from a
>>> real
>>> world need - I must be able to see right away a meaningful number for
> the
>>> process uptime.
>
>> I guess by meaningful, you mean formatted something like T1D4H33M?  I
>> wouldn't think "13.404 s" would be significantly more readable than
>> "13404 ms".  I haven't dug into this on the log4j bug or mailing list.
>
> Yes, days, hours and minutes would be a good solution.

Okay.  I wanted to understand what you were thinking.   If you want
this mainstream log4cxx, the best process would be to raise this an a
potential enhancement to log4j and see if you can get it in there.
However, that process could take quite a lot of time before it trickles
into log4cxx.  I haven't looked to see if the PatternLayout provides
hooks for user added format specifiers, but if not we might look at
making it a little easier to do.