From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: DailyRollingfileAppender / Chainsaw
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:53:15 GMT

On Jul 23, 2004, at 4:41 PM, FabijanicA@nucorsteel.com wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2004, at 3:25 PM, FabijanicA@nucorsteel.com wrote:
>>> I have a few questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Is it possible to make DailyRollingFileAppender delete files older
>>> than
>>> n days (hours, mins,...)? I was looking for something like that in
>>> the
>
>> As far as I can tell, that is a feature that is not currently in
>> log4j.
>>  I think the project in general would not be receptive to adding a
>> feature that is not already in log4j.  However, if it is in log4j or
>> if
>> you can get it accepted for log4j, then I think that log4cxx could
>> follow.
>
> I know I need it if I am to use this library in real world. And I doubt
> anyone else has an urge of manually deleting old files.
> I can not imagine anyone would opose such a thing. But, then maybe I am
> missing something important...

There have been a couple of log4j bugs (bugs 13947, 11907, 29835) that
appear related to these issues.  I assume there may be traffic on the
mailing list also related to this issue on log4j.  I haven't followed
them, but we would not want to address them in log4cxx in a different
way than log4j.  One of the comments on 13947 (which made rollover
public) from Ceki Gulcu mentioned that DailyRollingFileAppender had
been deprecated in log4j in preference for RollingFileAppender.

The log4j is more mature and has a more active community.  If there is
a problem with a proposal, it is much more likely to get a rigorous
review when proposed for log4j.  If somebody has a problem, that person
more likely to complain if it was proposed for log4j than log4cxx.

>> RollingFileAppender has a MaxBackupIndex that limits the number of log
>> files.
>
> That is exactly what I need for DailyRolingFileAppender. I'll try to
> do it.
>
>> Another approach would be to make DailyRollingFileAppender::rollOver
>> virtual, then you could extend the appender and add your own action on
>> roll-over.
>
> No, it does not feel right.

One of the log4j bugs mentioned using that approach hence the complaint
about rollOver being private.

>>> 2) is there any work being done on communication with Chainsaw ?
>
>> I assume that you are talking about Socket communication with
>> Chainsaw.
>> with log4j, however I don't know anyone working on it at this time.  A
>> substantial part of the work would reverse engineering the binary
>> format of log4j serialized LoggingEvent which should be moderately
>> straightforward since Java serialization is documented and log4j is
>> open source.
>
> I may give it a try one of these days.
>
>>> 3) Is there a possibility of having conversion character(s) for
>>> uptime
>>> other than milliseconds ?
>
>> Again, this is a place where I think that we would need to follow
>> log4j's lead.
>
> Not that I am trying to be smart, but my request is coming from a real
> world need - I must be able to see right away a meaningful number for
> the
> process uptime.
>
> Anyway, thanks for your precise and quick response. I've got some
> direction
> now ...

I guess by meaningful, you mean formatted something like T1D4H33M?  I
wouldn't think "13.404 s" would be significantly more readable than
"13404 ms".  I haven't dug into this on the log4j bug or mailing list.