From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: Newbie needs help: Chainsaw and Log4Cxx
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:59:06 GMT

On Jun 29, 2004, at 3:55 AM, Michaƫl CATANZARITI wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In order to send events to Chainsaw, you have to use the
> XMLSocketAppender and not the SocketAppender, since the binary formats
> are not compatible

I assume the incompatibility was not intentional.  Would the project be
open to a patch that would make log4cxx binary compatible with log4j's
SocketAppender?

> daniel.kasmeroglu@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
>> Hi there, I've tried to use Chainsaw v2 together with the
>> SocketAppender
>> of Log4Cxx. As far as I've understood the documentation this should
>> work but it didn't. So I've got several questions on this topic:
>>    1. Am I wrong ? I mean regarding my assumption that Chainsaw v2
>>        should work together with Log4Cxx. I don't know how Java
>>        serialization stores the bytes in a stream but I doubt that the
>>        implementation of the Log4Cxx generates the proper byte
>>        stream.

The stream format for Java serialization is defined at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/serialization/spec/
protocol.html

>>    2. My current implementation allows to connect to Chainsaw v2
>>        but Chainsaw always says that the streaming header seems to
>>        be corrupted (Exception !).  That's why I doubt that the stream
>>        data of Log4Cxx is correct. Is there anything I'm not aware of
>> ?
>>    3. Is there any alternative way which allows to view my logs
>>        remotely ? I mean I don't want to write such an application
>>        unless it's necessary.

If you could modify the log4cxx SocketHandler to use a stream format
compatible with log4j's, you could use Chainsaw without the performance
issue that you fear with XML serialization (though it would be good to
test if that fear is legitimate).  The process that I would use would
be to construct some sample log4j LogEvents and serialize them to a
local file, then write a serializer for log4cxx that results in
identical bytes for the corresponding log4cxx events.  Then wire that
serializer into SocketAppender.