From "Kris" <kris_myob_2...@hotmail.com>
Subject Visual Studio .Net 2003 Compilation Issues
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 18:48:50 GMT
Hi All,

I am trying to compile log4cxx-0.9.7 as a dll under Visual Studio .Net 2003
and am receiving a couple of compile errors. Also, I believe that the Visual
Studio .Net section of the INSTALL file refers to a file that has either
been removed from version 0.9.7 or that the file that it refers to has been
mistakenly ommitted from the tar file. I have included the errors that I am
receiving below allong with some additional notes and a full listing of the
build output. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

VS .Net 2003 Compile Instructions from INSTALL file
======================================
Copy the msvc/config.h.msvc file to include/log4cxx/config.h.
If you want to compile a dynamic library (dll), compile msvc/dll/dll.vcproj.
If you want to compile a static library (lib), compile
msvc/static/static.vcproj.

Some Observations Regarding config.h.msvc
===============================
* The file msvc/config.h.msvc does not exist in log4cxx-0.9.7. The file did
exist in log4cxx-0.9.6.
* I searched through the directories and found
include/log4cxx/config_msvc.h. I belive this file is new in log4cxx-0.9.7.

The Compile Errors
==============
* I copied include/log4cxx/config_msvc.h to include/log4cxx/config.h before
compiling.
* The compilation produced the following errors:
dll error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Compiling EventLog
message file"
dll fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'and.obj'
simplesocketserver fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'log4cxx.lib'

Additional Notes
============
* I believe that the log4cxx-0.9.7 tar package was changed around 10:20
today (May 11, 2004) to include the missing config.h file
* I compile again using the new package but *without* copying
include/log4cxx/config_msvc.h to include/log4cxx/config.h and received the
same errors
* If anyone thinks that it will be useful, I can provide the

Full Build Output
============
------ Build started: Project: dll, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Compiling EventLog message file
MC: Compiling c:\Documents and
Settings\kvanderstarren\Desktop\log4cxx-0.9.7\log4cxx-0.9.7\include\log4cxx\
nt\EventLogCategories.mc
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 7.10.3077
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'and.obj'
Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Compiling
EventLog message file"

Build Time 0:00
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and
Settings\kvanderstarren\Desktop\log4cxx-0.9.7\log4cxx-0.9.7\msvc\dll\Debug\B
uildLog.htm"
dll - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

------ Build started: Project: simplesocketserver, Configuration: Debug
Win32 ------

Compiling...
simplesocketserver.cpp
Linking...
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'log4cxx.lib'

Build Time 0:03
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and
Settings\kvanderstarren\Desktop\log4cxx-0.9.7\log4cxx-0.9.7\msvc\simplesocke
tserver\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
simplesocketserver - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

------ Build started: Project: static, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Compiling...
timezone.cpp
threadspecificdata.cpp
thread.cpp
telnetappender.cpp
system.cpp
syslogwriter.cpp
syslogappender.cpp
stringtokenizer.cpp
stringmatchfilter.cpp
stringhelper.cpp
static.cpp
socketoutputstream.cpp
socketnode.cpp
socketinputstream.cpp
socketimpl.cpp
sockethubappender.cpp
socketappender.cpp
socket.cpp
smtpappender.cpp
simplelayout.cpp
serversocket.cpp
semaphore.cpp
rootcategory.cpp
rollingfileappender.cpp
resourcebundle.cpp
propertysetter.cpp
propertyresourcebundle.cpp
propertyconfigurator.cpp
properties.cpp
patternparser.cpp
patternlayout.cpp
patternconverter.cpp
optionconverter.cpp
onlyonceerrorhandler.cpp
odbcappender.cpp
objectimpl.cpp
nteventlogappender.cpp
ndc.cpp
mutex.cpp
msxml.cpp
mdc.cpp
logmanager.cpp
loglog.cpp
loggingevent.cpp
logger.cpp
locale.cpp
loader.cpp
levelrangefilter.cpp
levelmatchfilter.cpp
level.cpp
layout.cpp
inetaddress.cpp
htmllayout.cpp
hierarchy.cpp
formattinginfo.cpp
filewatchdog.cpp
fileappender.cpp
fallbackerrorhandler.cpp
event.cpp
domconfigurator.cpp
defaultcategoryfactory.cpp
datelayout.cpp
dateformat.cpp
datagramsocket.cpp
datagrampacket.cpp
dailyrollingfileappender.cpp
cyclicbuffer.cpp
criticalsection.cpp
consoleappender.cpp
configurator.cpp
condition.cpp
class.cpp
boundedfifo.cpp
basicconfigurator.cpp
asyncappender.cpp
appenderskeleton.cpp
appenderattachableimpl.cpp
Compiling...
xmlsocketappender.cpp
xmllayout.cpp
writerappender.cpp
ttcclayout.cpp
transform.cpp
Creating library...

Build Time 3:03
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and
Settings\kvanderstarren\Desktop\log4cxx-0.9.7\log4cxx-0.9.7\msvc\static\Debu
g\BuildLog.htm"
static - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

    Build: 1 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 skipped