From Petri Tötterman <petri.totter...@hmv.fi>
Subject HPUX with aCC porting trial
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 07:09:01 GMT
Hello all,

I downloaded the source log4cxx-0.9.6.tar.gz and tried to install. My
environment:

Machine		HP 9000/785	2xPA-RISC 450
Operating sys	HP-UX B.11.11
Compiler	HP aCC A.03.50

Autoconf	autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
Automake	automake (GNU automake) 1.8.2
Cppunit		1.9.14
Libtool		1.5.6
Libxml2		2.6.9
M4		GNU ma4 1.4
Make		GNU Make version 3.79.1

I did, after untarring the source:
% ./autogen.sh
% ./configure CFLAGS="-Aa +e -D_HPUX_SOURCE" CXXFLAGS="-AA -w +inst_v -mt -D_INCLUDE__STDC_A1_SOURCE"
--prefix=/opt/log4cxx --enable-unicode
% make

At this point, make failed due to some errors. I noted the file names, and downloaded newer
versions from the project CVS. I noticed that some revisions had been made for porting log4cxx
to HPUX - great!

New trial:
% ./autogen.sh
% ./configure CFLAGS="-Aa +e -D_HPUX_SOURCE" CXXFLAGS="-AA -w +inst_v -mt
-D_INCLUDE__STDC_A1_SOURCE" --prefix=/opt/log4cxx --enable-unicode
% make (successful)
% make check (seemed not to do very much?)
# make install

And everything looked fine at first. But, when I tried to run the examples, I only got segmentation
faults. I tried to debug the code, but it looks that the getLogger() method fails. No LoggerPtr
object instances can be created. Any suggestions, where should I dig further? I know that
aCC is really difficult in many cases, but it is a requirement of my actual project. Log4cxx
looks very promising, if I only could made it work.

Best regards,
Petri Tötterman <petri.totterman@hmv.fi>