juneau-dev mailing list archives

From James Bognar <jamesbog...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Motivation to use Juneau
Date Fri, 01 May 2020 12:31:52 GMT
Hi Shahzad,

Thanks for your interest!  Juneau was developed independently of
Spring Boot so there are some high-level commonalities between the
annotations on the projects.  I wouldn't argue that one is necessarily
better than the other, but these are some features of Juneau that
Spring Boot may not provide:

- Out-of-the-box support for a variety of media types:  JSON, XML,
HTML, URL-Encoding, UON, OpenAPI, MessagePack, RDF/XML, N3, NTuple,
Turtle.  The HTML support is particularly useful because when the REST
interface is accessed from a browser (Accept: text/html), you get a
readable representation of your data.  This allows for creation of
REST interfaces that can be easily traversed using nothing more than a
browser.
- Very few external dependencies, so uber-jars are considerably smaller.
- Out-of-the-box support for auto-generated Swagger UI served up by
the servlets themselves.
- Support for end-to-end client-to-server REST interfaces.  You can
define a single annotated Java interface that is used to define the
server-side REST interface and also used to create a client-side proxy
for making calls against the REST interface. The client-side APIs also
allow you to make Java interface proxies against arbitrary 3rd-party
REST interfaces.
- It's not dependent on the Spring Boot infrastructure.  It's built on
top of Servlets, so can be deployed in any framework.  Jetty is
commonly used since you can start up a Jetty container in a few
milliseconds compared to Spring Boot which can take several seconds.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:07 PM Shahzad <getshahzad@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Juneaue Dev Team
>
> I cam across Juneae today, it got my attention and I started exploring it but unfortunately
not much (avoiding to use enough) has been contributed by the community.

> I went through a video, Pet Store code, Spring Boot Juneau example but I am still not
able to figure out motivation behind this project.

> I work mostly in Spring Boot services, @RestController, @RequestMapping on resource class
and @XXXMapping does all the magic for me, why should I use Juneau? A few lines to give idea
would be enough for me.