juneau-dev mailing list archives

From James Bognar <jamesbog...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Outreachy candidates and CLAs
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2019 15:34:43 GMT
Thank you for the clarification.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 11:32 AM Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:

> CLAs aren’t assigning copyright or anything. It’s asserting that you have the rights
to the code being uploaded and are allowing the ASF to use it under the Apache License. For
non-trivial contributions made by non-committers, it’s typically up to the PMC to decide
whether they can vouch for the contribution themselves or if the contributor should sign an
ICLA.

> Basically, the provenance of all code at Apache should be traceable to committers with
an ICLA on file or an initial software grant from the corporation who donated the code base.

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 10:22, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Does that mean that I as a committer am legally responsible for
>> contributions accepted by non-committers?  It's not my code, so how
>> can I grant copyright to it to the Apache Foundation?
>>
>> Just curious.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 11:07 AM Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Not necessarily. An ICLA is needed to become a committer, and any contributions
accepted are committed by people who already signed the ICLA. It can make things easier in
the long run to submit an ICLA, though.