juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Outreachy candidates and CLAs
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2019 19:31:25 GMT
FWIW, for the projects I've mentored so far in Outreachy, I haven't
asked anyone to submit an ICLA until they were accepted as the final
candidates. I've also relied on whatever each OSS community's
documentation says about when an ICLA should be submitted rather than
blanket requesting them from any applicant. This was for both ASF and
the Jenkins project. Some other communities rely on commit sign-offs
[1] instead which are similar to signing the Apache ICLA regarding
assertion of rights to contribute that code, and that's probably the
lowest barrier to entry (just use `git commit -s` to enable it),
though I haven't seen ASF use that approach.

[1]: https://developercertificate.org/

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 13:36, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:

> IMO, signing the ICLA should not be a prerequisite for acceptance of a first PR.  The
first PR is unlikely to be a significant contribution.  Hopefully at the end of the internship
there is a significant contribution and by that time, the candidate has become comfortable
enough to sign the ICLA.  So yes, good idea to introduce the ICLA at the first PR, but I don't
think it has to be a barrier, at least not right away.

> My 2 cents,
> -Alex
>
> On 10/4/19, 10:59 AM, "Craig Russell" <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi Awasum,
>
>     I believe that you have exactly the right thinking on this subject. Details below.
>
>     > On Oct 4, 2019, at 10:43 AM, Awasum Yannick <awasum@apache.org> wrote:
>     >
>     > For simplicity, all contributors in the context of Outreachy or GSoC should
just sign ICLAs when the submit first PRs. its going to make things very easy for us and them
in the long run.
>     >
>     Yes, having an ICLA on file for all candidates is a good thing.
>
>     > So as soon as someone sends in their first PR, send them to fill an iCLA form
and submit.

>     This will make it easier to give the person the ability to commit later on if they
deserve it.
>     >
>     > I wonder if this will add another barrier of entry? as people might get confused
about why they need to do that or even be reluctant to fill the form an send.
>     >
>     Here's where diversity gets involved. We should review the FAQ on the license page
and see if filling the ICLA might be a barrier to the people we want to attract.

>     We should proactively look at the FAQ with this in mind and suggest changes if they
are warranted.

>     But if the ICLA is a barrier, it should go into the friction log with suggested changes.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Craig
>
>     > Thanks.
>     > Awasum
>     >
>     > On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 5:33 PM Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>     > For more info, we have an FAQ here: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.apache.org%2Flicenses%2Fcla-faq.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C9d21049304dc4550116408d748f4a21c%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637058087835364859&amp;sdata=dyTMy%2FPsgDSQPlXnbHUTg4mHT2yUV8iZ7PzPWLNfS20%3D&amp;reserved=0
<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.apache.org%2Flicenses%2Fcla-faq.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C9d21049304dc4550116408d748f4a21c%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C1%7C637058087835364859&amp;sdata=dyTMy%2FPsgDSQPlXnbHUTg4mHT2yUV8iZ7PzPWLNfS20%3D&amp;reserved=0>
>     >
>     > I forgot to mention that CLAs also apply to patent grants (not many
>     > OSS licenses besides ALv2 and GPLv3 even address patents in scope of
>     > the license AFAIK), though this is more an issue for development done
>     > with corporate resources (I doubt many individuals bother filing
>     > software patents outside a business).
>     >
>     > On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 10:35, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org <mailto:jamesbognar@apache.org>>
wrote:
>     > >
>     > > Thank you for the clarification.
>     > >
>     > > On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 11:32 AM Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>     > > >
>     > > > CLAs aren’t assigning copyright or anything. It’s asserting that
you have the rights to the code being uploaded and are allowing the ASF to use it under the
Apache License. For non-trivial contributions made by non-committers, it’s typically up
to the PMC to decide whether they can vouch for the contribution themselves or if the contributor
should sign an ICLA.
>     > > >
>     > > > Basically, the provenance of all code at Apache should be traceable
to committers with an ICLA on file or an initial software grant from the corporation who donated
the code base.
>     > > >
>     > > > On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 10:22, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org
<mailto:jamesbognar@apache.org>> wrote:
>     > > >>
>     > > >> Does that mean that I as a committer am legally responsible for
>     > > >> contributions accepted by non-committers?  It's not my code, so
how
>     > > >> can I grant copyright to it to the Apache Foundation?
>     > > >>
>     > > >> Just curious.
>     > > >>
>     > > >> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 11:07 AM Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com
<mailto:boards@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > > >> >
>     > > >> > Not necessarily. An ICLA is needed to become a committer,
and any contributions accepted are committed by people who already signed the ICLA. It can
make things easier in the long run to submit an ICLA, though.

--
Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com>