juneau-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Outreachy candidates and CLAs
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2019 16:32:51 GMT
For more info, we have an FAQ here: https://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-faq.html

I forgot to mention that CLAs also apply to patent grants (not many
OSS licenses besides ALv2 and GPLv3 even address patents in scope of
the license AFAIK), though this is more an issue for development done
with corporate resources (I doubt many individuals bother filing
software patents outside a business).

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 10:35, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:

> Thank you for the clarification.
>
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 11:32 AM Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > CLAs aren’t assigning copyright or anything. It’s asserting that you have the
rights to the code being uploaded and are allowing the ASF to use it under the Apache License.
For non-trivial contributions made by non-committers, it’s typically up to the PMC to decide
whether they can vouch for the contribution themselves or if the contributor should sign an
ICLA.

> > Basically, the provenance of all code at Apache should be traceable to committers
with an ICLA on file or an initial software grant from the corporation who donated the code
base.

> > On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 10:22, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Does that mean that I as a committer am legally responsible for
> >> contributions accepted by non-committers?  It's not my code, so how
> >> can I grant copyright to it to the Apache Foundation?
> >>
> >> Just curious.

accepted are committed by people who already signed the ICLA. It can make things easier in
the long run to submit an ICLA, though.